Focus on tourism in Morocco :
Morocco is unmistakably a territory of contrasts very appreciated by the European travelers for its climate, its heritage and the wealth of its traditions. Nevertheless did you know that it also became a MICE destination?
The appearance of the tourism come from the year 1967 with Yves Saint Laurent’s arrival to Marrakesh: it is the beginning of a luxury tourism for the Westerners, especially French who are willing to escape. From Marrakesh to Ouarzazate via Medina, it is possible to take advantage of stays in luxurious, modern and traditional hotels or Riad, while mixing the discovery of the oriental wealth. The History of this country in miles facets, his architectural, culinary and artistic heritage will only strengthen its image of an inescapable tourist destination.
Nowadays the tourist capital is Marrakesh, which attracts every year more than 1 million tourists. Situated in the center of Morocco inside lands, at the foot of Atlas Mountains, its nickname of ” City of ochre ” makes reference to the red color of a big part of the walls of its houses and buildings. We can count eighteen souks in Marrakesh, where practice more than forty thousand potters, brassworkers, leather workers and other craftsmen. Known and recognized all over the world for the wealth of its architecture, which we find no leaves somewhere else, it is also the starting point of numerous excursions for the walkers avid to discover the Atlas or the desert.
A valid passport for all the duration of the stay is nowadays on compulsory for all the French people going to Morocco.
– The Medina : the old town is surrounded by fortification. This protection wall at the andalouse style was built at the time of Almoravides (first half of the XIIth century) to contain the assaults of Almohades. Classified in general in the UNESCO world heritage, it is largely restored and symbolizes Marrakesh.
In the center is the place Jemaa-el-Fna, real heart beating of Marrakesh, lined in the North by souks. All the places of historic or cultural interest as well as the most beautiful riads are situated in the medina.
– Gueliz : the modern city. Outside ramparts and created under the French protectorate, she extends around a main axis: the avenue Mohammed-V, several kilometers long, which connects Koutoubia with the djebel Guéliz, a small dry mountain. Large hotels, car rental companies, modern shops and big coffees group together there.
– The district of Agdal : it is situated on the avenue Mohammed-VI (more than 8 km), in the south part of the city. All the biggest tourism projects take place there.
– Hivernage : a small district calm and residential, on the south of Gueliz, between the Medina and the avenue of Mohammed VI. We can find there some simple hotels and nice houses, but also some luxurous hotels and on-trend restaurants and clubs.
– La palmeraie : situated at the North of the city, kind of Hollywood city, with wonderful villas and hotels with swimming-pool. Despite its name, palm trees become more and more occasional…
The airport of Marrakech-Ménara is the second most important airport of Morocco with 4 million travelers a year. It is situated in the southwest of the urban area, in 5 km of the center of Marrakesh and you should count no more than 15 minutes of transfer to join the city. The time of flight between Paris and Marrakesh is about 3 hours.
Sources: www.leconomiste.com / www.kuoni.fr / www.wikipedia.com / www.leroutard.com